Thursday, December 14, 2017

On Ringo Lake Mystery:Clue 3 - Bonnie Hunter Mystery 2017

This week has been a busy one.  I started the mystery quilt week one using a bright blue, bright orange, cream, and a dark navy blue.  This quilt will be all made out of batiks.  The further I got into the quilt I decided I had plenty of time each week, after finishing the first two clues within the weekend that they were released.

So, call me crazy, but I started a second quilt.  This second quilt had the colors picked based on the person/family I plan to give it to.  The colors for the second quilt will be Red, Blue, Cream and Black.  For this one I am using my printed fabrics….no batiks.  The family I plan on giving it to are huge Cubs fans, so hopefully the colors will be right up their alley.

I think the two quilts will turn out similar, but still uniquely different.

So this week is week three.  The units we are creating when put together look like chevrons.  Although I am assuming when Bonnie Hunter reveals the final layout they probably will not be Chevrons, but separated in the quilt.  This block I really had trouble with.  I wanted to do the no waste method, but tried a couple times and my blocks kept coming up to small.  So when all else fails use the tried and true, stitch and flip method.  Even though there is waste, there isn’t much waste.  The left over triangles are so tiny, I doubt Josie (the person I give my scraps to) will even want them.  She will get them, and if they are too small, she will just throw them away.  I don’t typically like small pieces.  If it’s smaller than 2.5 inches square, I typically will put it in a bag for Josie.  She uses anything and everything, and makes the scraps look beautiful.


Anyway, I haven’t finished Clue #3 for quilt 1, as we need a large number of each, but have the clue 3/4 done.   Then onto the second set, if I get to it this week.  If not, I will start work on Clue #4 and come back to Clue #3 as I have time.

Linking back to Bonnie's Linkup: http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2017/12/mystery-monday-link-up-part-3.html

2 comments: