Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Busy weekend of finishes - Alabama lap quilt

Over the weekend I was on a mission.  I had three quilts that had been sitting for a month waiting for the binding to be hand stitched, and a fourth quilt I started about two weeks ago that needed binding to be made and stitched.  I decided that since my machine needed to go in for its yearly cleaning I should probably make the 4th binding, machine the binding on, and make the 4 needed labels.  While I was doing that I figured I might as well finish appliquéing the last 8 leaves for a different quilt that is in process.  I am happy to say that all four quilts are done and now deserve to be shown off.

Three of the quilts were on my Q3 finish-a-long list, so they will each get their own post.


The 4th quilt I made was for a dear friend’s mother.  She spends a good portion of her day sitting down, and she is an Alabama alumni, so I thought it was only fitting to make her a small lap quilt.  This quilt is based on the Giggles pattern by Jaybird Quilts.  I altered the pattern to make the quilt 2 colors and then added the appliqued “A”.  The quilt in total took just about 5 yards of fabric.  I bought 2 yards of the silver and 4 of the crimson and had some left over from each piece, but not much.  The back is the crimson fabric from the front.  The quilt was quilted on a long-arm by me, at my local shop Quilting-By-You, where I can rent time on one of their machines.  There is a label on the back but I am not going to show it because the recipient has not received it yet.



No comments:

Post a Comment